Go Back   Hyperstar Imaging > Hyperstar Discussions > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM

SteveL is on a distinguished road
Question Initial star aligning your mount with Hyperstar...

Just curious how you all do your initial star align with your mounts with Hyperstar. Do you:

- Align with a diagonal and eyepiece, remove it, install the Hyperstar, and then start imaging...

or

- Install the Hyperstar and use cross hairs in Maxim (or similar) for your star aligns, then start imaging...

My system is outside, set up, cabled up, cooling down, ready for the first clear night in nearly 3 weeks, just got to take my wife and her friends into town in a while, then back home for my first light with my Hyperstar, so expect some problems and newbie questions tomorrow

Steve
Old 01-05-2008, 09:14 PM

Kevin is on a distinguished road

Use MaxIm's Cross hairs or what ever you are using. The field of view with the Hyperstar will be much bigger then the eyepiece and since your shooting at f/2 the focus will be WAY different. So just put the alignment stars in the cross hairs and go from there, no eyepiece at all.
Orion Starshoot II CCD
Old 01-05-2008, 09:25 PM

SteveL is on a distinguished road

Thanks Kevin, thats what I ended up doing after I aligned with the diagonal, installed the HS and counterweight.. and then unlocked the clutches to check the balance.. doh!

My first light has been fantastic, will post some of the processed images tomorrow sometime. I cant believe how flat the field is across the imaging chip (QHY8 in my instance)... superb!

Right, last sequence to set running before the sun comes up (its 4.30am here, I lose the "real" dark just after 6am)