Go Back   Hyperstar Imaging > Hyperstar Discussions > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 PM

Mfd323 is on a distinguished road
Default Just learned about the Hyperstar, now I want it!

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums and want a Hyperstar. Right now I use a Modified D70 for astrophotography with my C8 and love widefield/DSO shots, thats all I want to do. When I learned about the Hyperstar system I told myself this is it! After looking at ED refractors for astrophotography for the past month, it took me 10 min after reading all about the Hyperstar to make the descion...I want a Hyperstar!
I will be switching from a D70 to a CCD camera and not sure which one I should buy. I am only 16 years old so dont have a job to pay for a 2000$ CCD camera at this time. What are some good CCD cameras to look at?
Am I going to get better results compared to my D70 which I have only had since this past Fall?
All comments and your take on changing my C8 to Hyperstar compatible would be great!

Thanks for reading,

Matt
Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 PM

Kevin is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Hyperstar Imaging! good to hear someone else has the bug. Well if your limited on cash check out the Orion Starshoot II One shot color or a Meade One shot color.
Orion Starshoot II CCD
Old 01-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Administrator

UberDuper is on a distinguished road

It takes a large sensor ccd to get a really wide fov. Before investing in any ccd take a look at the calculator on the starizona site. http://starizona.com/acb/ccd/calc_pixel.aspx
This will give you an indication of the fov you can expect from a variety of cameras.

I'm not sure what the price of the starshoot is, but IMHO in any case it's worth it to hold out on any ccd purchase until you can get the QHY8 or the Starlight Xpress m25.

UD.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:20 PM

I agree honestly, if you want to get started now go for the StarShoot II its like $650 to $700 something in there. But to really benefit from the Hyperstar 3 you need the QHY8 or the Starlight Xpress M25C (both re amazing!) I am going to start putting money away for the QHY8 as it dominates over a Star Shoot.
Orion Starshoot II CCD
Old 01-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Ozy has disabled reputation

Starizona just started selling the QHY8. Get your orders in now!

http://starizona.com/acb/QHY8---60-M...D-P2959C0.aspx

Starlight Xpress SXVF-M25C - SXV Autoguider
Celestron C14, C8, Tele Vue NP127is, TV-60is - Paramount ME w/ Pinnacle Pier
Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 AM

I would love to get a QHY8 now but I dont have $2000 to drop right now. Hopefully soon.
Orion Starshoot II CCD
Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Administrator

UberDuper is on a distinguished road

The reason I point to the calculator is that the orion on the hyperstar 8" would give roughly the same FOV as his D70 on the back of the c8. At least I think. I don't know the sensor size of the D70. But in any case, the resolution difference between the orion and a dslr would be HUGE. I don't think he'd be happy with images taken with the orion after using his D70.
And with the orion being 1/3 the price of the QHY8.. I think it's worth it to keep saving.

UD.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 AM

Well yes I agree but if he wants to get started now then he should look for a used Starlight Xpress if he is limited on money and he wants to get a better camera. The Orion works fine for a beginner with Hyperstar but obviously its not the best camera and of course the D70 would be much better for imaging quality. So yes if he has the money do the QHY8. But in the end its up to him.
Orion Starshoot II CCD