Go Back   Hyperstar Imaging > Hyperstar Discussions > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2008, 03:46 PM

sstephenson is on a distinguished road
Default Taking Flat Fields With Hyperstar

I'm about to have a Hyperstar conversion kit installed on my C11, and a question occurred to me last night. With my camera now in the position where my secondary mirror used to be, I'm certainly not going to be able to use my light box to take flat field images. What are some alternative methods for taking flats with Hyperstar? I've heard of sky flats, but having the right conditions to be able to do that sounds rather "hit and miss", and it sounds like it has to be timed just right. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 PM

badithev is on a distinguished road
Default Taking Flats Fields With Hyperstar

I made a hollow cylinder from flexible aluminum flashing that gave the appearance of a dew shield. Installed it in front of the scope with the hyperstar and the camera so the camera and hyperstar are hidden inside. just cover the open end of this shield with a flat white cloth when you want to take flats. you can get aluminum flashing from any local hardware store. the one i made is about 13" in height good enough to keep the camera and the hyperstar well inside.

Vittal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephenson View Post
I'm about to have a Hyperstar conversion kit installed on my C11, and a question occurred to me last night. With my camera now in the position where my secondary mirror used to be, I'm certainly not going to be able to use my light box to take flat field images. What are some alternative methods for taking flats with Hyperstar? I've heard of sky flats, but having the right conditions to be able to do that sounds rather "hit and miss", and it sounds like it has to be timed just right. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 PM

sstephenson is on a distinguished road

Hi Vittal,

Great idea. I have a flexible roll up dew shield that I could cover with white cloth. Thanks so much.

Steve