Old 12-29-2007, 12:13 PM

Kevin is on a distinguished road
Default Issues for beginners

Ok well i just got started with Hyperstar imaging about two months ago. I am currently using a Alt-az Nexstar 8 GPS. I am getting a lot of field rotation between pictures and my images are not as sharp as I would like them to be. Is this due to focusing? Also would a wedge or an EQ mount be better for imaging? Or would a bigger chip camera help? I am using a Star Shoot II
Orion Starshoot II CCD

Last edited by Kevin; 12-29-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 AM

SteveL is on a distinguished road

I have the same OTA/Mount as you, but run on a wedge. My hyperstar system is currently awaiting delivery in the UK (it cleared customs), along with a Feathertouch Focuser and Microtouch focuser. Once I have these fine bits of kit installed and configured (and can find some clear skies from somewhere), we can compare images.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 AM

SteveL is on a distinguished road

The focus REALLY is critical on the Hyperstar, isnt it... ... and the supplied FocusMax software with the Microtouch focuser doesnt seem to like my QHY8 (Focusmax requires 3x3 bin mode during initial fast focus, but the QHY8 doesnt support that). So I was focussing manually with the button, and it didnt take much of a movement to go out of sharp focus.

My first light image from Saturday night (when I finally worked out how it all worked and what I was doing) is in the gallery >>here<<. Had to do a fair amount of work to reduce the star size for the final version. I can see my Hyperstar and myself having a long a fruitful relationship... if the clouds ever clear again...
Old 01-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

UberDuper is on a distinguished road

Kevin the field rotation is expected on an alt-az mount. Keeping your subs to 30 seconds or less should prevent any visible rotation in your images but a long series of shots is going to have them all slightly rotated. Your stacking software should handle this but you're going to lose some resolution off the edges.

Were I you, I'd make a good camera my next investment. You're still going to be limited on your exposure durations due to field rotation but you'll have a LOT more data to work with.

UD.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 PM

The new camera is what I am planning on. It will be the QHY 8 One Shot Color and will give a huge field of view as well. Would it be worth buying a wedge?
Orion Starshoot II CCD
Old 01-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

UberDuper is on a distinguished road

I've never used a wedge (or an alt-az mount) and I'm still quite the noob in all this. I suspect it wont be long before you want to image some objects that require much longer exposures even on the hyperstar and that's going to need a wedge. Wont be long after that that you'll want to get deeper and start imaging from the back of the scope. That's going to take a wedge and an autoguider.

One step at a time tho. You'll be amazed and what the FOV on the QHY8 allows you to do with your existing setup.

UD.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:07 AM

I know, a friend of mine (Ozy) on the site let me hook up his Starlight Xpress M25C to my scope which has the same chip as the QHY8 and the FOV of HUGE as I knew it would be when working with a 27mm chip. But the clouds came in so didnt get to play with it much maybe next time!

But I am just going to go with a QHY8 as the price difference is $3000 and moneys limited more when your 18.
Orion Starshoot II CCD