Go Back   Hyperstar Imaging > Hyperstar Discussions > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2008, 08:00 AM

SteveL is on a distinguished road
Default Celestron to discontinue most Fastar OTAs?

Hi all

I am just double checking this, because the following information was posted in a public (UK) astro forum by a respected forum member (I cant name names) and then the post was retracted/deleted almost immediately, but have heard that Celestron have (or will) stop production of all Fastar compatible OTAs except the #11064XLT (thats the 14" SCT).

This is news to me, hence why I am checking. Anyone have close enough ties to Celestron to know if this is true or not? Kind of worrying if it is, and would make the cost of starting imaging with Celestron and Hyperstar a bit more expensive, what with having to purchase the corrector adapter as well as the main unit.

Steve

Last edited by SteveL; 07-12-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 AM

Mapman is on a distinguished road

Not sure that any models currently come FASTAR equipped. The C8, C11, and C14 are "FASTAR compatible" meaning the secondary can be removed and replaced with a FASTAR type kit. That is what I did with a CPC800 purchased new this February.

Not a big deal, in any case, as the FASTAR kit for the C8 inch is $200, for the C11 inch is $250, and the C14 is $350. The Hyperstar lens and your choice of camera, software, etc are the expensive items.

In any case give the folks at Starizona a call with your questions, they have been very helpful to me. They also have a great deal of imaging information on their web site - very good stuff.

Now if the weather will cooperate ......
Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 AM

SteveL is on a distinguished road

It does appear that I am the last person in the world to find this info

Thankfully, I already have mine for my NS8GPS, I just need the damned cloud to go away